What is lead?
- Lead is a heavy metal. The periodic table symbol for lead is Pb.
- It was added to paint to make the colors brighter and make the paint more durable and can be found in dust and soil.
Why is lead bad?
- Lead is poisonous. If you swallow ingest lead in any way, it can give you headaches, stomachaches, and make it hard to focus at school.
- Small children and babies are higher risk for being poisoned by lead.
Where is lead?
- Lead is found in dust around windows and doors.
- It can also be in chipping and peeling paint in and around your home.
What can I do to protect myself and my family?
- Make sure you wash your hands before you eat.
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies; they help keep lead out of your body.
- Become a Lead Detective and keep your eyes peeled for The Lead Squad!